Here’s some of the most interesting and perhaps, unknown, facts. Originally appeared here.
- A day on the planet Venus is longer than a year on Venus. (Yes, you read that right.)
- On Saturn’s moon Titan, the gravity is low enough and the atmosphere thick enough, that by attaching small wings to your arms, you could fly like a bird.
- Since its discovery to its declassification as a planet, Pluto never made a full orbit around the Sun.
- There are more molecules in one glass of water than there are glasses of water in all the earth’s oceans combined.
- The real trajectories of spacecraft are complicated ellipses.
- A can of regular Coke sinks in water, whereas a can of diet Coke does not.
- Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin look alike contest and lost.
- Indian housewives hold 11% of the World’s gold.
- Honey is the only food item which never rots.
- Neil Armstrong had to fill an immigration form while coming back to the earth from the moon.
- We don’t know for sure who invented the fire hydrant because the patent for it was lost in the fire at patent office in Washington DC in 1836.
- Cement is the most widely produced material today, but for ~1300 years we forgot the recipe.
- A Japanese officer didn’t surrender in 1945, and continued the war for 29 years because he didn’t know the war was over.
- There was a book written about the sinking of the Titanic, 14 years before it actually sank.
- Vulcan Point is an island within a lake on an island within a lake on an island.
- Scotland’s national animal is the Unicorn.
- Austro-Hungarian man Adam Rainer was the only person in recorded world history to be both a giant and a dwarf.
- There Is A Starbucks Cup Visible In Every Scene In Fight Club.
- The world’s quietest room is -9 decibels, quite enough to hear your blood flowing.
- There is mobile phone reception from the summit of Mount Everest.
- Burj Khalifa is so tall that, from it, you can actually watch the same sun set or rise twice in a day.
- Each of the main characters in Spongebob Squarepants was inspired by one of the seven deadly sins.
- One in ten Icelanders will become a published author in their lifetime.
- You have more bacterial cells living in and on your body than you have human cells.
- The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans.
- New Zealand rose from the ocean, and it’s animal life is interesting because of that.
- Tardigrades, also called ‘water bears’ can survive freezing, boiling and irradiation.
- The time difference between when Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus lived is greater than the time difference between Tyrannosaurus and now.
- Russia is bigger than Pluto.
- From Space, you can still see the division between East and West Germany due to different light bulbs.
Business and Politics
- The president of Uruguay donates around 90 percent of his $12,000 (£7,500) monthly salary to charities.
- 10 corporations control almost everything you buy.
- The tiny island-nation of Tuvalu receives $4M a year from .tv domain name sales.